How can we let families and friends of addicts know about Nar-Anon? By doing outreach to spread awareness! The focus of outreach is to let families and friends of addicts know that help is available. An outreach committee acts as a vital link between individuals seeking help and Nar-Anon members who share their experience, strength, and hope. Outreach assists in the growth of our local groups, areas, and regions.
Step Twelve invites us to carry Nar-Anon’s message of hope to others. Outreach offers a way to carry the message by increasing awareness of Nar-Anon Family Groups. The focus of outreach is to let families and friends of addicts and professionals who may come in contact with them know that help is available. Spreading awareness through outreach assists in the growth of local groups, areas, and regions and the fellowship as a whole.
All levels of the fellowship - local groups, areas and regions - can support outreach and be part of the vital link between individuals seeking help and Nar-Anon members who share their experience, strength, and hope.
- Consider forming an Outreach Committee to better coordinate outreach efforts.
- With Mission, Vision Statement and Principles in mind, an Outreach Committee can be designed to meet the needs of each community.
- Outreach how-to information is available in the Nar-Anon Outreach Information Folder and on this WS Outreach page (See Outreach Tools, Tri-Fold Brochures, Guides and Challenges below).
- The Outreach Packet offers selected ready-for-distribution literature and is available for purchase in the WebStore.
Outreach Cover Letters Guide
Three cover letters are included in the Nar-Anon Outreach Packet and are available for download at the links below. The downloadable PDFs can be printed and, or, photocopied for use by regions, areas, and groups for purposes of outreach. Please remember - Print on white paper only.
When using a cover letter, consider enclosing a local or regional meeting directory (if available) and the Nar-Anon Offers Hope pamphlet (PDF available below) or along with other outreach literature available in the Outreach Packet at the WebStore.
Putting Cover Letters to Work
A group, an area or a region can form an outreach committee. Areas and regions can ask GSRs to distribute the cover letters to group members. Groups that form an outreach committee can work together with members of their group to perform outreach. If a committee does not exist, a member may carry the message with the use of these cover letters and material. Just remember that if we go before the public, we should always have two members present.
- Use the Internet, phone book, or other resources to identify local professionals who come in contact with those struggling with the problems of addiction in a loved one or friend. Consider gathering contact information for doctors, medical centers, therapists, mental health facilities, treatment centers, law enforcement, drug courts, the clergy, and ecumenical council.
- Group members can be asked to distribute these letters, anonymously if they wish, to professionals in their community via mail.
- Group members that are willing to break their anonymity may drop these materials off personally. They may ask the professional or appropriate administrator if they may leave resource materials with them for distribution. They may also ask if they may display our outreach posters and literature in a lobby or appropriate area.
- Have questions? Need help putting the letters to work? Email email@example.com.
Outreach is essential to spreading awareness of the Nar-Anon program. Below are links to downloadable tools to support your outreach efforts.
Nar-Anon Logo Kit
To Obtain - the trademarked Nar-Anon logos - [click here}
Nar-Anon Public Service Announcements (PSA)
Print PSA - for use in newspapers, online classified advertisements and other print media. [download pdf]
Video PSA - for outreach via Nar-Anon related websites, forums, and other digital avenues. View the video below. [download video]
Nar-Anon Offers Hope - Downloadable PDF version to print or photocopy for purposes of outreach. (Print on white paper only) [download pdf]
Narateen Outreach - Downloadable PDF version to print or photocopy for purposes of outreach. (Print on white paper only) [download pdf]
Nar-Anon Outreach Poster - Downloadable PDF version to print or photocopy for purposes of outreach. (Print on white paper only) (8 1/2x11) [download pdf]
Checklist for an Outreach Booth (O-409) - to help with organization and set up of an outreach booth. [download pdf]
Informing the Community(O-414) - to help with informing the community about a new meeting. [download pdf]
Members can use Outreach challenges at the local, area and regional level to facilitate service work and support Nar-Anon’s primary goal of carrying the message of hope.
We welcome your participation in creating new challenges. What outreach efforts have been successful for you? Work with us to share your ideas with others worldwide. You can e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Challenge #1 - how-to distribute Nar-Anon outreach literature in your community.
- Challenge #2 - how to create information packets for outreach to individuals.
- Challenge #3 - how to create information packets for outreach to professionals.
- Challenge #4 - how to post Nar-Anon information to free online classified ad site.
- Challenge #5 - how to publicize the Nar-Anon Audio PSA for radio air time.
- Challenge #6 - share hope with Nar-Anon's Video PSA.
- Challenge #7 - reach out to the community through special local events.